I am Lisa O’Dwyer, a photographer who started professionally in Ireland in 2006 (my husband is from Country Clare and we met while teaching English in Japan!). As an art-history student in London and Florence, travelling across Europe for 3 months by train, and living two years in Japan and ten in Ireland, I became intrigued with the idea of art as family heirlooms. With any photography commission, I feel it is my duty to provide my clients with timeless portraits and classically captured candid moments that will become family heirlooms for the next generation. The lightly directed portrait is about 25% of my work, while the remaining 75% are the candid moments of real-life; the Henri Cartier-Bresson fly-on-the-wall photojournalist style that is very honest and real. I use these two forms of visual storytelling to tell the story of who you are in this beautiful moment in time, it is our legacy for the next generation. My favorite photographers are Cartier-Bresson, Peter Lindbergh, Paolo Roversi, and Julia Margaret Cameron. My favorite painters are John Singer Sargent, Mark Rothko, Giotto, Frances Bacon, Goya, Turner, Velasquez, and too many more! I also love the decorative arts especially art deco and art nouveau, and the French Empire and Early Italian Renaissance.
On a personal level, I love travelling with my family (we spend a couple weeks in Ireland every summer!). We especially love visiting places with culture and history (my husband is a high-school history teacher). I love being out in nature and am inspired by wild, romantic (in the 18th century use of the term) landscapes. I am from rural SW Pennsylvania and nature is really important to me. I love reading books, especially the classics. I will basically try any cuisine, I am a real foodie…I lived in Japan for 2 years and learned that food was an adventure! I love witty, sarcastic, eccentric people and humor. I wish I could be a writer…I have many stories to tell…but am not sure that I could actually sit at a desk and write everyday. I feel that photography is the perfect way for me to tell stories.
I only take on 5-6 wedding commissions per year. I want my clients to have the best experience with me and so I limit my wedding commissions. In my other “life”, I am a realtor at Sellstate Crossroads Realty in Northern Colorado. I love helping people achieve their dreams of owning property and I love to list so you can sell your home (I am great with photography!). Find me here http://www.nocopropertiesforsale.com